sammichFM was designed to be the “no excuses” MIDIbox FM synthesizer kit – i.e. for all those people who want a MIDIbox FM but consider building it with modules too time-consuming, too newbie-unfriendly and/or too hard to design and construct a control surface.
sammichFM therefore has the following design constraints/features, which support each other:
- looks a lot like sammichSID
- cheap (relative to fully modular MIDIbox FM with “pro-looking” control surface)
- DIY newbie friendly
- minimal control surface
- single “walwart”/AC adapter supply, no bipolar PSU and mains power wiring!
- sandwich-style” stacked PCB design, no wires!
- laser-cut 3mm acrylic case by Ponoko, customization possible
- industry standard 2×20 character LCD, customization possible
- common control surface parts used, customization possible
- available as a complete kit, including PCBs, components, case, hardware and new OPL3 chipset!
MIDIbox FM Synthesizer features
- One Core module and one OPL3 module, fully integrated on one PCB with power supply.
- 4 simultaneous instruments of 6 voice polyphony each, plus drum kit. Each voice is a 4 operator waveform.
- Each instrument can be routed to one of four audio outputs, via two stereo 1/4″ phono jacks.
- Five “BankStick” slots, so you can store 5 banks of 128 patches, 32 “Ensembles” and 16 “Drumsets”
- Minimal control surface with up/down arrow buttons for fast menu scrolling.
- 2×20 character LCD with support for low-power (25mA) or high-power (250mA) LED backlight.
- Potential for future upgrade to 32-bit microcontroller via an undocumented “daughterboard” header.